Thursday, September 2, 2010

You know you've been sitting at the computer too long when the touchpad is all sweaty

I am a little arrogant, so I enjoy reading things that i've written or looking at old pictures of me and stuff like that. Whenever I write anything, my initial reaction is usually something like "Wow. I am actually a really good writer. I don't know why I ever thought otherwise."

Unfortunately, when I read something I've written, I think it sounds really dumb so I make a ton of edits until I think it sounds really great again. My meter for judging if something I've written actually is good or not is whether I can go all the way through without cringing. I just re-read what I just wrote up until this point and only cringed twice. I wanted to make some edits, but I kept myself from it for the sake of realisticity (<-- pronounced ree-uh-liss-tiss-uh-tee, meaning the state of being realistic, maybe?)

Inevitably though, I don't like something I've written a day later, so when I'm totally and entirely ready to be done with it I have to make sure not to read it again, because that's the only way I'll still think it's good.

[(How I make myself think I'm a good writer: read bad writing. How I make myself think I'm a bad writer: read good writing.)]

No comments:

Post a Comment