Monday, October 12, 2009

Qu. A live-action commentary.

Usually, it takes a little bit of time to decide I really like a band. With Sherwood, it took about five seconds. I just loaded up their myspace page and hit play, not knowing what to expect.
I am now soaking up the entirety of Qu. The first song is only one minute long, and it is a minute of Beach Boys-esque love. Almost pure triple layered vocals.
Now, I'm listening to "Ground Beneath My Feet" and I am being stunned. This band is so good. Beautiful. It builds from being light and sung by one guy to a transcendent sweeping harmonic masterpiece.
Instrumentation is powerful and diverse, with a laid back drumbeat, a xylophone, and a techno-synth driving "Around You". Wow, now there's an electric guitar solo. Gang vocal echoes on the bridge? Check. This song rocks.

"What Are You Waiting For?" sounds like stereotypical "let's go to California" pop-punk. It is. Still, it's very catchy and better than other bands with this sound.
(minutes later)
Alright, I've made it to the last song. It's starting out slow, I'm predicting that this is going to get epic. "So this is how every family ends...a black cloud hangs over our house...so give up and let it rain down." This is sad. And it's not getting epic, it's staying sad. The album ends on a downer... "No Better" will make people cry. I guess a lot of the best music out there is depressing...
Anyways, amazon.com is selling this album for $2.99 tomorrow, and I know they will be getting my three dollars. It's so worth it.
Recommended if you like: Relient K, The Beach Boys, Yellowcard, crying

No comments:

Post a Comment