Monday, May 24, 2010

One dozen starving, crazed weasels

Weird Al Yankovic is funny at first, but his annoying voice can really start to wear on you. Some of his parody songs are pretty clever, but most of them lose the novelty after a few listens. Al's magnum opus, however, never gets old.

One of the most brilliant, quirky, unique things to come out of the musical world is Weird Al's eleven minute epic, "Albuquerque". It's a stream of consciousness spoken word narrative over a rambling guitar track, and it gets funnier every time. The ridiculous places he takes you, the ridiculous characters he introduces you to...there's about thirty laugh out loud moments, thirty amused chuckle moments, and five gasp in shock moments.

One time i was feeling a little bit sad, and I was bored, and I needed a good way to kill eleven minutes. So I listened to "Albuquerque". This has happened many times.

Say, that reminds me of another amusing anecdote*. This guy comes up to me on the street and tells me he hasn't had a bite in THREE WHOLE DAYS. Well, I knew what he meant, but just to be funny I took a big bite out of his jugular vein. And he's yellin' and screamin' and bleedin' all over and I'm like, "Hey man, don'tcha get it?"

Man, some people just can't take a joke, ya know?

*amusing anecdote taken word for word from Weird Al

No comments:

Post a Comment